Last month I read and loved The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertali! Her novel was adorable, hilarious and incredibly sad, upbringing and downright relatable. Molly was my favourite character, and while her 27 crushes isn’t something I can relate to in my everyday, non-fictional life, it can definitely be applied to my fictional realm.
Here I have compiled a short list of 5 of my top FICTIONAL CRUSHES. These boys are the ones I feel in love with while reading; from their jokes that crack me up to their vulnerable side that makes me wanna give them a hug and never let go. They are also the reason why I have such high expectations when it comes to REAL LIFE guys. (ugh)
Starting from number 5…..
5 | Ben Parish from The 5th Wave
“I steady him, he steadies me, the chain that binds us, the chain that sets us free.”
I read The 5th Wave about a year ago, but I’ll always like Ben Parish. I don’t remember what I liked so much about him tbh, but it was most likely because of how everything turned out (no spoilers here) and how much of a father figure he became for the other kids.
4 | Frank Porter from Since You’ve Been Gone
“”You’re the brightest thing in the room”, he said. He lifted his hand from my waist, and slowly, carefully brushed a stray lock of hair from my cheek. “You shine”.”
Throughout the entirety of Since You’ve Been Gone, I was madly crushing on the intelligent and funny Frank Porter. I believe that at least 85% of my love towards him is due to how much I related to Emily, especially at that point in my life. The other 15% is because he is literal bae material; a sprinkle of smart, a dash of abs, a pinch of humour. I need to reread this novel!
3 | Finnick Odair from The Hunger Games
“Want a sugar cube?” he asks in his old seductive voice.”
MY FIRST EVER YOUNG ADULT BOOK BAE. Finnick was my first fictional love and always will be. He is so kind, funny, attractive, brave, selfless….and the list goes on! My 12-year-old self instantly fell in love. Where would I be without Finnick??
“Better not to give in to it. It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.”
2 | Jem Carstairs from The Infernal Devices
“I can offer you my life, but it is a short life; I can offer you my heart, though I have no idea how many more beats it shall sustain.”
My most recent book boyfriend. I was Team Jem from Clockwork Angel, and although I now love both Will and Jem, my heart first belonged to Jem. He is such a sweetheart that it’s actually unbelievable. I wish real life people were like Jem; someone who can marvellously play violin, is willing to sacrifice life for me, will write me a song, and let me life my life yet still love me no matter what. I WILL LOVE JEM FOR ETERNITY.
1 | Simon Lewis from The Mortal Instruments
“There are things our souls want, and mine wants you.”
And last but not least, the ever so wonderfully nerdy and hilarious, SIMON LEWIS!! NO.1 BOYFRIEND RIGHT HERE! Simon is so freaking hilarious and sweet to the point where I don’t know how he does it.(Well he does it by using Cassandra Clare’s writing skills, duh.) Can someone please get me a Simon??!! Like ASAP?! He is 100% the best-potential boyfriend-vampire in town, so see you later Edward Cullen. 👋🏼
Those were all my fictional boyfriends/crushes! Are you crushing on any of the same?? Who is your Number 1 BAE? Tell me in the comments!
There were very minimal negatives in this fabulous book!
It was freaking hilarious, incredibly emotional, #relatable on sooooo many levels, and too cute for its own good! Molly is my actual spirit animal; her reactions, jokes and some of her hobbies are quite similar to mine. Her character development was phenomenal and it was an enjoyable journey watching her grow as a human being. I loved how Becky Albertali inserted so much diversity in this novel; from sperm donor babies to a pansexual, asian love interest. Diversity was a big part of this novel, yet everything seemed so ‘normal’ and ‘ordinary’. In other words, it wasn’t a big drama that these people were slightly different from the average heterosexual male. I liked reading about these characters and Becky’s writing style is so hilarious that it has convinced me to read her other novels.
The few negatives include characters – other than Molly and Cassie – not getting enough character development and the lack of a lasting impact it gave on me. Maybe because it was super short, but I have a hard time trying to remember certain characters names after the novel was over.
Overall I absolutely loved my time reading this novel and would recommend it anyone who enjoys a contemporary novel.
My Rating: 4.5/5 Stars